86.134.6919.8260 Contact@ChinaTopTrip.com

How to Handle Emergencies in China

Traveling in China is generally safe and uneventful. However, travel emergencies may pop up when you least expect them. Besides choosing a reliable travel agency and arranging adequate insurance cover, it is always helpful to prepare yourself for emergencies, before they ruin your much anticipated travel plans. The following is a list of questions that may arise.

What should I do if I lose my luggage at the airport?

  • Look for the airline’s baggage office or window, and report it there at once.
  • Give the window clerk your baggage stub and they will track your bag on the computer.
  • The clerk will ask you to fill in a claim form. Supply a way (like your hotel address and phone number) that can reach you over the next few days.
  • Keep a copy of the form.

What should I do if I am attacked or robbed?

If you lose something of value or encounter criminal activity, please report it immediately to the nearest police station or call 110 (toll free) for police. Notify your tour guide or tour leader for assistance. If you are in a hotel, you may inform the hotel staff and ask them to call the police.

What should I do if I lose my passport?

  • Be sure to check if your passport is indeed lost before you report it. Once it is reported lost, it is cancelled and no longer valid, and you’ll need a replacement. Also note that offices handling such issues usually close on weekends and public holidays.
  • Ask your tour guide for assistance, and immediately report the loss to the nearest Public Security Bureau, who will issue a proof of loss for you.
  • Go to your hotel and ask for stamped proof of your residency.
  • Have your original identity and proof of citizenship (must be the original government-issued photo ID document).
  • Have about 8 passport photos 2″ X 2″ (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. It usually needs 2 photos for the application of new passport, but you will also need photos to apply for visa, emergency passport and your new passport.
  • Have a copy of your passport (Suggest you take several copies of your passport before you start your trip just in case)
  • With all the things prepared, locate the nearest embassy or consulate of your own country and apply for a replacement passport in person. You’ll be required to complete a new passport application and there will be fee charged for replacing passport.
  • After the new passport is issued, go to the Public Security Bureau and apply for new visa, so you can go on your trip or re-enter your country. Please note that in some cases, a replacement may take weeks to process, and it may be valid only for a limited time. So take especial care of your passport in your journey.

What should I do if I lose my credit card?

Please report the loss to your credit card issuer as quickly as possible, and follow your bank’s instructions.

What should I do if I get lost?

Please always take with you the contact details, such as your tour guide’s phone number and your travel advisor’s phone number. With just a phone call, you can easily help you get your bearings. When you leave the hotel, please take a card of your hotel, then you can show it to the taxi driver when you need a ride.

What should I do if I fall sick?

If you feel minor discomforts, please relax, have a rest and drink some water. Eat more fruits and stay away from overly fatty foods. Take some medicine if you see necessary. If you suffer from a serious illness, please go to the hospital or call 120 (toll free) for an ambulance. Please remember to bring a copy of your medical records with you when you travel.

What are the emergency phone numbers in China?

Mainland China:
Police: 110
Fire: 119
Ambulance: 120

Hong Kong & Macau:
999 — Police/Fire/Ambulance